With the recent news of Kevin Smith being ejected from a Southwest flight I've been having flashbacks to my senior year in high school and a trip I took to Las Vegas over Spring Break.
While Kevin may become the new spokes person for fat burners for men, he has nothing on the guy who sat across the aisle from us.
The year was 1986. Security was nothing more than a gate to walk through. Non-passengers were allowed through security, right up to the gate to kiss loved ones good-bye. Smoking was also still allowed on the air crafts.
My friend and I boarded our plan. Excited to be off on an adventure without supervision and going somewhere the other kids wouldn't be. We may have actually coined the term "What happens in Vegas...". Anywho...
There was this guy on the plane. Right across the aisle from us. He was a safety hazard. Not only did his spillage block the aisle and cause difficulty for the food and beverage carts to get through, this man couldn't stay awake. He'd take a bite of food and then immediately fall asleep. His arm would drop to his side, in the aisle, and any food that hadn't made it into his mouth would fall to the floor. He would wake a few moments later for another bite, or because the flight attendants (who were called stewardess') would tap him to get his arm out of the way of the cart.
I know. You're thinking that food on the floor isn't really a hazard. The arm in the aisle may cause a back up in an evacuation situation, but that's rare. But what if I told you he was also smoking? Because he was. Same thing that would happen to his food would happen to the lit cigarettes. He'd take a puff, fall asleep and we would watch in horror as the burning stick would fall to the floor. I'm pretty sure this is the single-most reason that smoking was banned on airplanes. Just saying.